This self-publishing seems to be a two-edged sword: yes, I'm in charge/control of the book, but at the same time, I'm the editor, the proof-reader, the designer, the whole ball of wax. It is a lot of work, and one that requires a lot of very clear communication between me and the publisher. It would be much more helpful if I were working with someone who had at least a little experience with a knitting book (or any other kind of work in which the relationship between text and photos is crucial).
I naively thought that by sending the publisher a complete mock-up of the book with clear (at least in my mind) instructions on photo size and placement I'd receive back a cleaned up version of what I sent in. But that's not what I got back.
Basically, over the last two weeks, I've not only proofed the book but have ended up with an altered layout. Because the type is spaced differently (I believe they used a larger font), the continuity of the written patterns and related photos is thrown off. I'm making up another mock-up that I'm hoping will give the graphic people a better idea of what is important.
I've been getting the galleys printed out at the UPS store. Scott, who manages the place, and I are becoming BFF. We both know that I'll be back for at least a third printing of the galleys.